Hold Me Accountable

 I cannot imagine a life where there is no one to speak the truth to me or offer constructive criticism to help me grow.

Even more frightening is the thought of becoming alienated from God and developing a hardened conscience!

So, if you love me, hold me accountable! Tell me when I am walking down the wrong path. Draw my attention to any weaknesses that could eventually become my downfall. Sometimes, we become so accustomed to our own ways that we fail to recognise the danger lurking ahead.

The Bible reminds us in Proverbs 14:12:

“There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.” — Proverbs 14:12 (KJV)

As the Akans would say, the one carving out a path does not know that, behind him, there are crooked paths. What a profound reminder that we may not always see our own blind spots! Sometimes, we need someone standing on the sidelines to point out what we cannot see for ourselves.

If no one can tell you the truth about yourself, or people are too afraid to hold you accountable, then something is fundamentally wrong. Those who genuinely love us will not stand idly by and watch us slide down the path of destruction. Love does not always tell us what we want to hear; sometimes, it tells us what we need to hear.

Consider the story of King David.

David had done the unthinkable. He committed adultery with Bathsheba, the wife of one of his trusted soldiers, Uriah, and went on to orchestrate Uriah’s death when he could no longer conceal his wrongdoing. David had fallen into sin and attempted to cover his tracks, but what he did in secret was not hidden from God.

So, God sent the prophet Nathan to confront him.

Interestingly, Nathan did not begin by directly accusing the king. Instead, he told David a parable about a rich man who took a poor man’s only lamb, despite having plenty of his own. David was furious and declared that the man deserved to be punished.

Then Nathan delivered those piercing words:

“Thou art the man.” — 2 Samuel 12:7 (KJV)

Imagine that moment! The king who had judged another man’s wrongdoing was suddenly confronted with his own. The prophet held up a mirror to David, forcing him to see the gravity of his actions.

Thankfully, David did not harden his heart or attempt to justify his behaviour. He acknowledged his sin, saying, “I have sinned against the LORD” (2 Samuel 12:13, KJV).

His sorrowful repentance is beautifully captured in Psalm 51, where he cries out to God for mercy, cleansing, and restoration. He understood that he needed more than a way out of the consequences of his actions; he needed a restored relationship with God.

What a lesson for us!

It is important to have people in our lives who are courageous enough to approach us and point out our flaws. We cannot always see what lies ahead of us, nor can we always recognize when we are veering off course. Sometimes, a sincere rebuke from someone who genuinely cares about us can save us from making decisions we may regret for the rest of our lives.

As Proverbs 27:6 reminds us:

“Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.” — Proverbs 27:6 (KJV)

In other words, a true friend may hurt your feelings by telling you the truth, but that truth may be exactly what you need to hear. Flattery may soothe our egos, but honest correction can protect our future.

Being open to accountability makes us better human beings and helps us remain sensitive to the voice of God. No wonder Hebrews 3:15 warns us:

“To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.” — Hebrews 3:15 (KJV)

It is a dangerous thing to continually shut our ears to instruction. When we repeatedly reject correction, we risk becoming so comfortable in our own ways that we mistake stubbornness for strength and pride for confidence.

The Bible gives us another sobering reminder in Proverbs 12:15:

“The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.” — Proverbs 12:15 (KJV)

How often do we miss opportunities to grow because we are too proud to listen? How many avoidable mistakes could we escape if only we learned to receive correction with humility?

Even when the truth stings, we must be willing to listen. After all, a closed heart cannot receive an open rebuke.

So, here is my resolve: I am not an island.

I want to grow. I want to thrive. I want to become a better version of myself. I want to be corrected when I am wrong, guided when I lose my way, and reminded of who I am called to be when I begin to drift.

Although our human hearts can be inclined to follow their own desires, an accountable heart remains willing to receive instruction, accept correction, and grow in wisdom. It is like a tree planted by the rivers of water, continually nourished and strengthened to bear fruit in its season (Psalm 1:3).

And oh, what a blessing it is to be instructed by God Himself! As Psalm 32:8 assures us:

“I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.” — Psalm 32:8 (KJV)

May we never become so wise in our own eyes that we stop listening to the counsel of others. May we never become so comfortable in our sin that our conscience no longer convicts us. And may we never surround ourselves with people who applaud our every decision but lack the courage to tell us when we are wrong.

If you love me, hold me accountable.

Speak the truth to me, even when it hurts. Correct me when I am wrong. Challenge me when I am drifting. Point out the blind spots I cannot see for myself.

Do it with love, do it with wisdom, and do it with the hope that I will become better.

I may not always enjoy the correction, but I pray for the humility to receive it.

I would rather be corrected in love than applauded on my way to destruction.

Hold me accountable. Speak the truth to me, even when it hurts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Are Not Too Late

Start Again

The Prison of Unhealthy Fear